Director of Teaching, Learning, and Equity
The Director of Teaching, Learning, and Equity is a new position at Mid-Pen. The Director will play a significant role in implementing the new strategic plan, which supports access, equity, and excellence in all aspects of school life. Reporting to the Head of School and collaborating with the leadership team, the Director will join an inclusive community that celebrates diverse talents and individualizes learning in order for all students to thrive. The social emotional well-being of every child will guide all aspects of the Director’s work.
The Director will lead work in these three mission-critical arenas:
Mid-Pen’s mission states that “all students belong with expert and compassionate teachers.” The new Director will serve as a coach and thought partner to the faculty as they expand interdisciplinary, project-based, and experiential learning opportunities and make iterative improvements to existing programs. In collaboration with the administrative team, the Director will articulate the Mid-Pen vision for excellent teaching and provide regular and actionable feedback for teachers. The Director will also work closely with new faculty to ensure their success.
The Director will serve as an important professional development resource, steering faculty toward learning opportunities specific to their disciplines and working with the administrative team to determine shared, full-faculty professional development goals. The Director will plan, facilitate, and evaluate in-house professional development programs. The Director will also support faculty with differentiated instruction and best practices to serve the needs of a neuro-diverse population. The Director will support Mid-Pen’s commitment to deeply individualized education, evaluating how the overall program delivers knowledge and skills while allowing students to explore their passions and experience real-world applicability.
The Director will help Mid-Pen bring greater equity to all aspects of its community with special emphasis on three areas in the immediate future. Mid-Pen serves a diverse population of learners, and the Director will lead the faculty in making the curriculum more equitable in both content and delivery. Mid-Pen aspires to hire teachers, coaches, and advisors who reflect the diversity of the student body and understand the lived experience of students. The Director will work closely with the administrative team on all future hires with the goal of increasing faculty and staff diversity. The Director will serve as an ally to students and families.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
- Minimum five years of classroom teaching experience.
- Master’s degree and administrative experience preferred.
- Understanding and appreciation of students with diverse learning needs.
- Emotional intelligence and the ability to build strong relationships with teachers, students, and families.
- Ability to lead and make difficult decisions with compassion and clarity.
- Proven ability to steward a project from ideation to implementation.
- Openness to feedback and growth mindset.
- Sense of humor.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
Interested candidates can contact Search Consultant Karen Whitaker for additional information and a discussion of the position. To be considered, applicants will need to submit electronically––as separate PDF documents––the following materials:
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position.
- Current résumé.
- Statement of educational philosophy and leadership practice or a recent piece of writing relevant to the candidate’s current leadership work.
- List of five references with name, phone number, and email address of each (references will be contacted later in the process and only with candidate permission).
Please send the above documents to email@example.com.